Hurricane Irene missed Manhattan in August 2011. But the storm hit the Catskills in upstate New York with a devastating force few will soon forget.
Early estimates say the damage in the Catskills exceeds $1 billion. And that is not counting the damage to people’s lives and livelihoods.
News coverage of the recovery effort in the Catskill towns of Margaretville, Windham, Fleischmanns and their sister communities will take time, resources and money. The Fund for Local News has identified Rebuilding the Catskills as a top-level coverage priority at this time.
* follow the money. Find out who is getting government help and who is not.
* track FEMAs efforts to house those whose homes are destroyed
* monitor the effects on jobs, family income, Main Street economies
* report on the schools and governments
* tourism and agricutulture
Give to the project Rebuilding the Catskills.
Read about our coverage partner, The Watershed Post, here.